OPEN A DISPENSARY IN NEW JERSEY
In 2010, New Jersey legalized medical marijuana use for registered patients suffering from qualifying medical conditions. Patients will have to obtain medical marijuana from an Alternative Treatment Center (ATC). The state awarded six (6) ATCs in 2011. The Department of Health was tasked to regulate the program.
Read the entire CUMMA here: http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/2008/Bills/PL09/307_.HTM
Qualifying conditions: Seizure disorder, including epilepsy; intractable skeletal muscular spasticity; or glaucoma; if severe or chronic pain, severe nausea or vomiting, cachexia, or wasting syndrome results from the condition or treatment thereof: positive status for human immunodeficiency virus, acquired immune deficiency syndrome, or cancer; amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, multiple sclerosis, terminal cancer, muscular dystrophy, or inflammatory bowel disease, including Crohn’s disease; terminal illness, if the physician has determined a prognosis of less than 12 months of life; Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder.
Physician certification: Physicians who wish to aid patients suffering from debilitating medical conditions by providing medicinal marijuana must register with the Program to certify a patient. A physician must initiate a patient registration for the program. Per regulation, there must be a bona fide physician-patient relationship to start the patient application process. Physicians who wish to participate in the program must:
- Hold an active New Jersey Medical license in good standing issued by the NJ Board of Medical Examiners.
- Possess an active controlled dangerous substances registration issued by the NJ Division of Consumer Affairs that is not subject to limitation.
- Practice within the State of New Jersey
Registration can be completed online at http://njmmp.nj.gov/.
Caregivers: A patient certified for medicinal marijuana may elect to have a caregiver if needed. A caregiver can purchase medicinal marijuana from an ATC without the patient’s presence. Caregivers can be added at any time during registration and must go through the same process as patients to receive a card. Caregivers are required to submit fingerprints for a criminal background investigation. The fingerprinting forms will be available once the caregiver has begun the online registration. There is a fee of $200 for a caregiver identification card, unless the caregiver is qualified for government assistance the fee is $20.
Patient Card Info: To become a registered patient with the Medicinal Marijuana Program, you must:
- Maintain a bona fide relationship with a physician who is registered with the program.
A bona fide relationship is defined as a relationship in which the physician has ongoing responsibility for the assessment, care, and treatment of a patient’s debilitating medical condition, where:
- The physician-patient relationship has existed for at least one year; or
- The physician has seen and/or assessed the patient for the debilitating medical condition on at least four visits; or
- The physician assumes responsibility for providing management and care of the patient’s debilitating medical condition after conducting a comprehensive medical history and physical examination, including a personal review of the patient’s medical record maintained by other treating physicians reflecting the patient’s reaction and response to conventional medical therapies.
- Be a New Jersey resident.
- Be diagnosed with a debilitating medical condition by a New Jersey physician registered with the MMP.
Regulating Departments: The New Jersey Department of Health
Medical Marijuana Business: On January 17, 2011, the Department released a Request for Application soliciting parties interested in establishing ATCs. On March 21, 2011, the Department announced the selection of six ATC applicants to move forward in the permitting process. These entities are, Greenleaf Compassion Center, Foundation Harmony, Breakwater ATC, Compassionate Care Center of America Foundation, Inc., doing business as Garden State Dispensary, Compassionate Science ATC, Inc. and Compassionate Care Foundation, Inc. Once the initial six are open, the state will evaluate the program and determine whether or not there is a need for expansion. In 2017, Foundation Harmony finally received approval to operate. If there is a determination to add ATCs, the Department will publicize the expansion and provide the criteria and process for application. Examples of the examination forms utilized by the existing six ATCs can be found here: http://www.nj.gov/health/medicalmarijuana/alt-treatment-centers/index.shtml
Zoning: ATC locations must be at least 1,000 feet from a school
January 18, 2010 – CUMMA signed into law, legalizing medical marijuana in New Jersey
February 2011 – Rules and Regulation published
January – February, 2011 – ATC Application Submissions
March 2011 – ATC selection announced.
December 2012 – First ATC opened
The state is not currently accepting any new applications for marijuana businesses. In the event the state decides to reopen the application process and you would like to be notified, sign up for our emailing list here. In the meantime, review the information below to prepare yourself and stay ahead of the game.
Dispensary/Cultivation Application Tools and Services:
1. Purchase our Application Guide & Checklist, a detailed summary and checklist of all the action items you will need to complete prior to moving forward with an application submission for a marijuana business license.
2. Browse and purchase our Marijuana Business Plan Templates (Cultivation Plan, Operations Plan, Security Plan etc.)
The New Jersey Marijuana Business Application Process requires that you have specific essential plans when submitting your application. Learn more about the required and recommended business plans for New Jersey below.
REQUIRED NEW JERSEY BUSINESS PLANS FOR DISPENSARY/CULTIVATION APPLICATION:
- -Inventory Control Plan
- -Patient Record Keeping Plan
- -Security Plan
- -Patient Education Plan
- -Financial Plan
- -Policies & Procedures
RECOMMENDED NEW JERSEY BUSINESS PLANS FOR MARIJUANA DISPENSARY/CULTIVATION APPLICATION:
- -Marketing & Advertising Plan – CUSTOM SOLUTIONS AVAILABLE
- -Administration Plan – CUSTOM SOLUTIONS AVAILABLE
- -Product Labeling & Analysis Plan – CUSTOM SOLUTIONS AVAILABLE
- -Edible and Infusion Bakery Plan – CUSTOM SOLUTIONS AVAILABLE
- -Cleaning & Sanitation Plan – CUSTOM SOLUTIONS AVAILABLE
- -Transportation Plan – CUSTOM SOLUTIONS AVAILABLE
Custom solutions for select plans available, email Info@DispensaryPermits.com for more information.
Refer to map for states with current and/or upcoming application opportunities to apply for medical marijuana licenses.
Are you an existing licensee holder and need help with the setup of your marijuana facility such as staffing, training or branding? Dispensary Permits offers business consulting for marijuana facilities. Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for a complimentary phone consultation.
DEMOGRAPHICS – NEW JERSEY
Let us know how you would like to get involved in the marijuana industry.