OPEN A DISPENSARY IN OHIO
Dispensary/Cultivation Application Tools and Services:
1. Purchase our Ohio Dispensary Application Guide, a detailed summary and checklist of all action items you need to complete prior to moving forward with an application submission for a marijuana business license.
2. Educate yourself on what it takes to operate a dispensary/cultivation facility. Browse through our collection of downloadable Marijuana Business Plan Templates (Operations Plan, Inventory Control Plan, Security Plan, etc.)
3. Let us guide you through the entire application process with our Custom Solutions Package. Contact Us for a complimentary consultation.
Ohio legalized medical marijuana when Governor John Kasich signed HB 523 into law on June 8th, 2016. The law took effect on September 8, 2016, legalizing medical marijuana access for patients suffering from qualifying medical conditions such as Alzheimer’s, ALS, Cancer, Crohn’s disease, Hepatitis C, Chronic/Severe Pain and more. Qualifying Patients will obtain medical marijuana from state licensed Medical Marijuana Retail Dispensaries. The state will be issuing licenses for Cultivation, Processing, Lab Testing and Retail Dispensing with four regulating departments overseeing the entire Ohio Medical Marijuana Control Program.
Read the entire bill here.
Program Regulating Departments:
Ohio Department of Commerce (ODC): Responsible for overseeing medical marijuana cultivators, processors and testing laboratories.
- For more information on Cultivation: http://www.medicalmarijuana.ohio.gov/cultivation
- For more information on Processing: http://www.medicalmarijuana.ohio.gov/processing
- For more information on Testing: http://www.medicalmarijuana.ohio.gov/testing
State Board of Pharmacy (BOP): Responsible for overseeing medical marijuana retail dispensaries, the registration of medical marijuana patients and caregivers, the approval of new forms of medical marijuana and coordinating the Medical Marijuana Advisory Committee.
- For more information on Retail Dispensaries: http://www.medicalmarijuana.ohio.gov/dispensaries
- For more information on Patients & Caregivers: http://www.medicalmarijuana.ohio.gov/patients-caregivers
Medical Marijuana Advisory Committee (MMAC): Tasked to make recommendations concerning the Program to the Department of Commerce, Board of Pharmacy, and State Medical Board.
Ohio Medical Board: Responsible for certifying physicians to recommend medical marijuana and may add to the list of qualifying conditions for which medical marijuana can be recommended.
- For more information on Physicians: http://www.medicalmarijuana.ohio.gov/physicians
Marijuana Business Overview:
Medical Marijuana Cultivator: Allowed to cultivate medical marijuana and deliver or sell medical marijuana to one or more licensed processors. There are two (2) types of Cultivator License available:
- Level I Cultivator License means a cultivator that is permitted to operate up to twenty-five thousand (25,000) square footage of space designated as the marijuana cultivation area in the application. The ODC may issue up to twelve (12) Level I Cultivator Licenses. Level I cultivator application fee is twenty thousand dollars ($20,000) and mustestablish and maintain an escrow account in a chartered financial institution in Ohio in the amount of seven hundred fifty thousand dollars ($750,000).
- Level II Cultivator License means a cultivator that is permitted to operate up to three thousand (3,000) square footage of space designated as the marijuana cultivation area in the application. The ODC may issue up to twelve (12) Level II Cultivator Licenses. Level II cultivator application is two thousand dollars ($2,000) and must establish and maintain an escrow account in a chartered financial institution in Ohio in the amount of seventy-five thousand dollars ($75,000).
A Cultivator License Applicant may only apply for one (1) type of Cultivation License (for example, a Level I Cultivator License Applicant shall be prohibited from applying for a Level II Cultivator License, and vice versa).
Medical Marijuana Processor: Allowed to obtain medical marijuana from one or more licensed cultivators and process medical marijuana into a form described in the Program’s Laws and Regulations as well as deliver or sell processed medical marijuana to one or more licensed retail dispensaries. The ODC may issue up to forty (40) Processor Licenses. Processor application fee is ten thousand dollars ($10,000).
Medical Marijuana Retail Dispensary: Allowed to obtain medical marijuana from one or more processors and dispense or sell medical marijuana to qualifying patients and caregivers. No more than 60 dispensary licenses shall be awarded statewide where a dispensary may not be any less than 500 feet from a school, church, public library, public playground or public park as well as remaining ensuring the location meets local zoning laws within their respective city/county. The nonrefundable application fee for a dispensary license is set at $5,000 and must provide proof that the applicant has adequate liquid assets to cover all expenses and costs of the first year of less than $250,000.
September 8, 2016 – Ohio Medical Marijuana Control Program Established
May 6, 2017 – Cultivator Rules Adopted
June 2017 – Application submission for Cultivator Licenses
September 8, 2017 – Processor, Testing and Dispensary Rules Adopted
September 8, 2017 – Patient/Caregiver and Physician Rules Adopted
TBD – Dispensary, Processor, Testing Application Submissions
Increase your chances of success by hiring a Medical Marijuana Application Consultant! Email us at Info@DispensaryPermits.com or call at 602-621-0648 for a complimentary 20-minute consultation.
The Ohio Marijuana Business Application Process requires that you have specific essential plans when submitting your application. Learn more about the required and recommended business plans for Ohio below.
REQUIRED OHIO BUSINESS PLANS FOR DISPENSARY/CULTIVATION APPLICATION:
- –Dispensary Business Plan
- –Financial Plan
- –Security Plan
- –Inventory Control Plan
- –Staffing Plan
- –Operations Plan
- –Suitability of Proposed Facility Plan
- –Cultivation Facility Plan
RECOMMENDED OHIO BUSINESS PLANS FOR MARIJUANA DISPENSARY/CULTIVATION APPLICATION:
- –Environmental Plan
- –Fire Safety Plan
- –Product Safety Plan
- Marketing & Advertising Plan-CUSTOM SOLUTIONS AVAILABLE
- Record Keeping Plan-CUSTOM SOLUTIONS AVAILABLE
- Transportation Plan-CUSTOM SOLUTIONS AVAILABLE
Interested in opening a marijuana facility in Ohio? Don’t wait, start now and let us guide you through the process. Contact Us!
DEMOGRAPHICS – OHIO
Let us know how you would like to get involved in the marijuana industry.