Status: In Louisiana, individuals with a legal recommendation from their doctor may be in possession of medical marijuana, and state licensed pharmacies may dispense medical marijuana.
|CBD Program||Medical Program||Recreational Program||Are Applications Open?|
Number of Louisiana Marijuana Business Licenses Licenses Available
Louisiana Medical Marijuana Business License Guidelines
- The Louisiana Board of Pharmacy was tasked to regulate the dispensary program.
- Only existing pharmacies are allowed to dispense medical marijuana
- Not more than 10 pharmacies may obtain licenses to dispense marijuana within the state.
- Louisiana State University and Southern University are the only authorized, licensed medical marijuana cultivators and processors. Louisiana State University is partnered with GB Sciences and Southern University is partnered with Ilera Holistic Healthcare for operations.
- The Louisiana Board of Pharmacy has developed the rules for dispensing, supply, quality, testing and licensure for the program.
RECOMMENDED LOUISIANA MARIJUANA BUSINESS PLANS FOR APPLICATION:
- Marijuana Business Plan Package
- Business & Operations Plan Template
- Cultivation Plan Template
- Manufacturing/Processing Plan Template
- Environmental Plan Template
- Financial Plan Template
- Fire Safety Plan Template
- Inventory Control Plan Template
- Patient Education Plan Template
- Patient Recordkeeping Plan Template
- Product Safety Plan Template
- Security Plan Template
- Staffing Plan Template
- Suitability of Proposed Facility Plan Template
- Transportation Plan Template
The History of Louisiana Marijuana Business Licenses Marijuana
Gov. Bobby Jindal signed SB 143 on June 29, 2015 amending, therefore, re-enacting the 1991 Alison Neustrom Act- allowing Louisiana’s physicians to prescribe medical marijuana to qualifying patients. The act only covered 3 conditions to qualify a patient for medical marijuana possession and use which are suffering from spastic quadriplegia, cancer and/or glaucoma. In May of 2016, S.B. 271 to expand the medical marijuana program in the state passed, expanding the list of qualifying medical conditions and speeding up the growing and distribution process in order provide patients with access to medicine quicker. The Louisiana Board of Pharmacy was tasked to regulate the dispensary program. Only existing pharmacies are allowed to dispense medical marijuana and Louisiana State University and Southern University are responsible for growing the medical marijuana. Not more than 10 pharmacies may obtain licenses to dispense marijuana within the state. The Louisiana Board of Pharmacy has developed the rules for dispensing, supply, quality, testing and licensure for the program.