Status: In Rhode Island, qualifying patients may possess and use medical marijuana. State licensed businesses may grow, process, transport, and dispense medical marijuana.
|CBD Program||Medical Program||Recreational Program||Are Applications Open?|
Number of Rhode Island Licenses Available
Rhode Island Medical Marijuana Compassion Center Guidelines
- Three Registered Medical Marijuana Compassion Centers in Rhode Island have been approved by the state
- A registered Rhode Island Compassion Center may acquire, possess, cultivate, manufacture, deliver, transfer, transport, supply, or dispense marijuana to registered qualifying patients and their registered primary caregivers who have designated the compassion center as one of their primary caregivers.
- Each application for a compassion center shall include:
- A non-refundable application fee paid to the department in the amount of two hundred fifty dollars ($250);
- The proposed legal name and proposed articles of incorporation of the compassion center;
- The proposed physical address of the compassion center, if a precise address has been determined, or, if not, the general location where it would be located. This may include a second location for the cultivation of medical marijuana;
- A description of the enclosed, locked facility that would be used in the cultivation of marijuana;
- The name, address, and date of birth of each principal officer and board member of the compassion center;
- Proposed security and safety measures that shall include at least one security alarm system for each location, planned measures to deter and prevent the unauthorized entrance into areas containing marijuana and the theft of marijuana, as well as a draft, employee-instruction manual including security policies, safety and security procedures, personal safety, and crime-prevention techniques; and
- Proposed procedures to ensure accurate record keeping.
REQUIRED RHODE ISLAND MARIJUANA BUSINESS PLANS FOR RHODE ISLAND MEDICAL MARIJUANA COMPASSION CENTER APPLICATION:
- Business & Operations Plan Template
- Cultivation Plan Template
- Manufacturing/Processing Plan Template
- Environmental Plan Template
- Financial Plan Template
- Fire Safety Plan Template
- Inventory Control Plan Template
- Patient Education Plan Template
- Patient Recordkeeping Plan Template
- Product Safety Plan Template
- Security Plan Template
- Staffing Plan Template
- Suitability of Proposed Plan Template
- Transportation Plan Template
RECOMMENDED RHODE ISLAND MARIJUANA BUSINESS PLANS FOR RHODE ISLAND MEDICAL MARIJUANA COMPASSION CENTER APPLICATION:
The History of Rhode Island Marijuana
In January of 2006, Rhode Island legalized the possession and use of medical marijuana for qualifying patients in the state. A registered Rhode Island compassion center may acquire, possess, cultivate, manufacture, deliver, transfer, transport, supply, or dispense marijuana to registered qualifying patients and their registered primary caregivers who have designated the compassion center as one of their primary caregivers. On April 19, 2013 Rhode Island’s first medical marijuana dispensary, The Thomas C. Slater Compassion Center in Providence, opened.
Governor Gina Raimondo signed the state’s $9.9 billion budget for fiscal year 2020 into law. The budget proposal includes language that allows the state to issue six additional vertically-integrated medical marijuana business licenses for the cultivation, manufacturing and dispensing of medical marijuana products. The application fee for these centers was increased to $10,000 each and the licensing fee was increased to $500,000 each. The state has not yet released additional information regarding when applications will become available.